Poncho #4 - Doña Alicia
This product is unavailable
Each poncho is entirely handmade in Peru's Valle Sagrado by Doña Alicia. Keeping alive the ancient techniques and stories of her ancestors, Alicia's hands are responsible for every single step of these garments' creation. She sheers the alpaca, spins the yarn, gathers ingredients from the valley to prepare the natural dyes using ancient formulations, dyes all of her yarn, and then finally, weaves these garments. Traditionally, Quechua has no written language, rather their stories were woven into tapestries using symbology, colors, and patterns to embody the culture's narrative histories. Providing an economic incentive enables Alicia to keep this tradition alive and provides an opportunity to pass it along to the next generation; because of the market we have helped her connect with, she is able teach her daughter and other youth how to weave a viable future for themselves and their ancient traditions. All of the proceeds from these Ponchos go directly to Alicia.
Every hat is made-to-order, which generally take about 2-4 weeks. As with any handmade item, there may be slight variations from hat to hat. Free shipping within the US.
- Using a tape measure or piece of string (one that does not stretch), wrap the circumference of your head. Wrap the tape or string LOOSELY, do not pull it tight. Ensure that you are measuring just above your ear where the hat will rest. This is where your head is widest.
- If using a string, measure the length of the string on a ruler.
- Measure multiple times to make sure that you get it right.
- Use the measurement to select from the following sizes that we offer.
- When in doubt, or if you are in between sizes, then size up and send us a note when you place your order. We will make sure to include some special felt tape strips that you can easily place in your hat to help it fit snugly.
- Small: 55cm
- Medium: 57cm
- Large: 59cm
- X-Large: 61cm